MA 366J -- Differential Equations Laboratory
This site is written primarily for Ryan Renn's section of MA 366J. (So what is said here might not apply to another section.)
Grades for the labs are here.
(Previous semesters: Fall '02)
Lab 1: Population (pdf)
- Lab 1 Walkthrough, by Kris Reyes
- Lab 1 statistics
Lab 2: A Polluted Pond (pdf | last pages)
- Lab 2 Walkthrough, also by Kris Reyes
- Lab 2 statistics
Lab 3: Numerical Methods (pdf)
- Lab 3 Walkthrough by Ryan Renn
- Lab 3 statistics
Lab 4: Predator & Prey (pdf | last page)
- Lab 4 Walkthrough by Kris Reyes
- Lab 4 statistics
Lab 5: Swinging Skyscraper (pdf | last page)
- Lab 5 Walkthrough by Ryan Renn
- Lab 5 statistics
Lab 6: Eigenvalues & Equilibria (pdf)
- Lab 6 Walkthrough by Ryan Renn
- Lab 6 statistics
Lab 7: Linearization (pdf)
- Lab 7 Walkthrough by Kris Reyes
- Lab 7 statistics
Lab 8: Lorentz Systems (pdf)
- Lab 8 Walkthrough by Ryan Renn
- Lab 8 statistics
Lab 9: Resonance (pdf)
- Lab 9 Walkthrough by Kris Reyes
- Lab 9 statistics
Lab 10: Off Line Springs (pdf)
- Lab 10 Walkthrough by Ryan Renn
- Lab 10 statistics
Lab 11: Pendulum (pdf)
- Lab 11 Walkthrough by Ryan Renn
- Lab 11 statistics
Lab 12: Picard Iteration (pdf)
- Lab 12 Walkthrough
- Lab 12 statistics
Even more info:
Lab 1: Walkthrough for "Your Report," by Ryan Renn
Here are some notes to Lab 6 (and a correction).
Questions / announcements
- Remember the Help Sessions, regularly Wed. 7-9 p.m.
Other lab instructors
- Joanna Hetrick <email@example.com>
- Kris Reyes <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Chris Stadler <email@example.com>
- Richard Penney's site. (Author of the labs.)
- Prof. Plamen Stefanov's MA 366 site.
- Prof. Pascu's web site.
- The lab schedule is here. Click here for the Help Session schedule.
- Mailbox: MATH building, 8th floor, to your right from the elevator, at the end of the hall.
- Old midterms from previous semesters (with a different instructor)
Using MATLAB from your home
- Download dfield6 and pplane6
- Use Matlab remotely and include dfield and pplane in your path.
- Instructions for doing this.
- Useful commands is a small exercise I wrote to familiarize symbolic commands
- Maple commands can save you time with computational dirty work.
- MATLAB documentation is available.
- Information on the MATLAB Symbolic Toolbox.
- Matlab Easter Eggs (time-waster).
Lab instructor info:
(Ryan Renn, lab instructor for Section 02 - 01: T 2:30 MTHW 301)
I'm a junior studying actuarial stuff. I finished my Math major in May '02 and my Computer Sci. major in December '02.